Sunday, August 8, 2010

New Year

OMG! I have done this in so long I hope I remember how...
Well, it is August and that means the beginning of a new year...a new school year. This is the time that all teachers start to get jittery, shop for new classroom decorations, and begin to look forward to meeting a whole new groups of students! This is one of the most exciting times of the year! There is no way to describe the feeling of walking into your classroom and deciding how to arrange the furniture, where to put your Word Wall and what your theme for the year will be. Only teachers know this feeling...and it is hard for us to put these feelings into words.
The four years that I did not teach were a blessing. I was able to spend time with my young children, watching them grow and being there whenever they needed me. However, every August I would get melancholy and teary eyed when my friends would start talking about going back to school. Guess I was born to be in education!
This is the beginning of my 29th year in education (not counting the 4 years I "retired" and voluntered at two different campuses!) and it is still exciting for me! Shopping for supplies for the teachers, picking out my yearly theme, buying new school clothes...yes, I still do all those silly things. I look forward to each new year, but for some reason, I am especially excited about this year. Don't know what makes this year different, but I have a renewed excitement and passion and I know this will be one the best years yet!
Teachers are a special breed of people. Teachers instinctively know the needs of thier kids, they know when to joke and when to be serious. Teachers know that the weather does have an effect on student behavior. Teachers know that parents want to be active partners but that life sometimes get in the way. Teachers have a love and compassion that cannot be beat. Teachers are a special breed...
Here is to all the TEACHERS in the world...active, retired, staying home for a while...you are very special and appreciated!!! Bring on the 2010 - 2011 school year!

1 comment:

Dingles44 said...

Momma! Its me Tom! Hey long time no see! How have you been? Hey, if you ever want to talk leave a comment on my blog and we can be like blog buddies!
www.itselliot.blogspot.com